[cvsnt] import statement just hangs

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue May 27 23:44:17 BST 2008

siegfried wrote:

> cvs -d :pserver:siegfried:topsecret at CVS_WXS/CVSNT/WXS import -Cd . root
> trunk

You shouldn't import to '.' - the import command should probably stop
you doing that.  Give your new module a proper name, otherwise you've
just created a very strange repository!  I'm also not 100% sure what the
server will do if you try to do that...

> I was able to log in using the login command.
>
> Incidently, when I do cvs --help import I see the second parameter is vendor
> tag. What is the vendor tag?
>
> And what is the release tag? I think the release tag shows up when you do a
> branch.

See the manual for import.  These are for the traditional cvs way of
doing imports (which still works, but I never really liked it myself).