[cvsnt] CVS Server Side Reporting Tools?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Nov 9 10:02:38 GMT 2008

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 05:56:13 +1100, "Arthur Barrett"
<arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote:

>>> We had implemented such this tool some time ago, when we migrated
>>> to 2.5.03.
>>> You can check this out at
>>> http://www.3ia.com.br/cms/index.php/download/37-cvsnt-hit
>>
>> Interesting piece of code!
>> It could simply be made portable across database backends
>>> (supported by the ADO system in Delphi)
>
>Somehow I missed this when it was first posted.
>
>Ideally we'd like to see people using the CVSAPI for things like this, it's very powerful and is the same API as we use for writing to databases ourselves so therefore is furture compatible.
>
>Since audit was in 2.5.01 and since CVSNT audit in 2.5.03 does not support Oracle (2.5.04 does) I find the supplied program a little odd, but great to see people extending CVSNT.
>
>I know there has been some complaint before that the CVSAPI is difficult to call from Delphi, but if making it easier to call will result in more contributions then I think there is some work that could be done there.  The two ways forward would be either:#
>* a 'standard c' interface - same as the Win32 API uses
>* a COM intergace
>
>Does anyone know if either of these would help?  Would someone like to volunteer to try and port the above Delphi code to use CVSAPI with assistance from me at using the API with CVSNT 2.5.05?

After a bit more of twiddling with the import tool sourcecode:

In order not to double up the database access methods maybe something
like this could be arranged:
- a CVSNT API through which one could call the database write
functions to create the entries CVSNT Audit normally does for CVS
operations.

- a CVSNT API through which one could get the data needed to be used
for the above calls.

Then the CVSNT settings for the Audit database would be used without
the need for the external application to access the database directly
and the data would be retrieved without needing to parse the RCS files
directly.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)