[cvsnt] March-Hare message into my commit messages

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Tue Nov 11 12:01:45 GMT 2008

> 6)  A truly visual and robust Release Manager that supports Unix

Try CruiseControl, available both in Java and thus running on any OS, or in
a .NET clone. It's open source, not much visual, but it won't just release
your code. It will  check it out, compile it, run tests, tag your repository
and move the result where you like. We're using CruiseControl.NET and
although its XML-based configuration script it's not the easiest
configuration to perform, it works well.

If you need a visual and robust release manager under Windows there are
excellent tools like AutomatedBuild Studio or FinalBuilder, just to name two
(don't know about FreeBSD, sorry, "visual" and "Unix" are often an
oxymoron...).

Again, if I have to pay money I may prefer a tool that not only does not
bind us to a single SCM, but offers greater flexibility, unless the tool
that comes with the SCM really outperforms what's available elsewhere, is
highly integrated or is really cheap.

If I were March-Hare I'd focus on the server (they're doing it already with
evs, maybe they could some features in the paid version only), and a good
client (multiplatform, if needed), instead of adding three different
clients, two of which open source. On this core they could build a suite of
SCM software, but looking at what's available on the market - to be really
competitive.

Right now what's available in the CVS Suite can be easily built with open
source tools - and remember most CVSNT customers are developers, they can
easily tweak Mantis or write a trigger to get things done - up to modify
open source code if neeeded. In our stack right now CVSNT is just the code
repository - I may prefer to change it than changing the whole stack above
that works well and does not requires CVSNT - alternatives are available.

If you are willing to pay, the market often offers more powerful tools - and
it looks March-Hare does not take it into account.

I understand that if every CVS user starts to pay for it today March-Hare
could build great tools tomorrow, but we are users, not investors. We pay
for what you offer now, not tomorrow. Sorry.

--
Luigi D. Sandon