[cvsnt] Excessive delay before every command

John Doucette john.doucette at mackaymeters.com
Thu Nov 27 16:34:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have WinCVS 2.1.1.1 installed, which came with CVSNT 2.0.51d package,
also installed, on various PCs in the office.

I have a CVS :pserver: repository on a Linux box.

Generally, everything works fine.  However, some users always experience
a 30 - 60 second delay before any CVS command executes. On some PCs the
delay is present after WinCVS/cvsnt are installed and then just
magically goes away after a few weeks. On some PCs the delay is there
forever. On my PC I have NEVER experienced this delay.  The delay seems
to be in cvsnt, not the WinCVS GUI, since on affected PCs you also get
the delay when you run cvs commands directly from a cmd.exe window.  I
have seen some web references to trailing backslashes in PATH
environment variables but this does not seem to be the problem.

Q1. Has anyone experienced/solved this problem?

Q2: Is it safe to upgrade cvsnt independently of the WinCVS packaged
version?

Q3: Is a free version of cvsnt still vailable?