[cvsnt] adding to CVSROOT (was: CVSNT on Win2003)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sun Nov 30 22:02:01 GMT 2008

Bo/Gerhard/All

> >Each new repository has at least the CVSROOT module. It is accessible
> >at least to repo admins. A repo admin can check it out, which creates
> >a sandbox. From that sandbox, the repo admin can add other modules.
> >

> No, if you do that then you are hosed!
> Never, ever even think of adding submodules and files to the CVSROOT
> control module!!!!

We recently had a suite support customer do this, and I realised that if
you are logged in as Administrator (default user XP) this is extremely
easy to do.

I'm going through all our GUI's at the moment (like WM, SCCI and even
TCVS/WinCVS) modifying them so that it's impossible to use a GUI to
import or add a directory to the Repository Administration Files Module
(CVSROOT).

My question is: should CVSNT command line client also prevent import and
add <directory> to the Repository Administration Files Module (CVSROOT)?

BTW: I absolutely detest the 'name' CVSROOT.  There at least 3 things
called CVSROOT and so as a name it is useless (it fails to inform or
identify)... I'm trying to propagate some new terms:
* CVSROOT - Repository Administration Files Module
* $CVSROOT - CVSNT Client Connection String
* CVS/Root - Workspace/Sandbox Connection String

Regards,

Arthur