[cvsnt] sync-protocol questions

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Oct 3 16:55:28 BST 2008

Gerhard,

> Note that I'm talking about the TortoiseCVS
> /WinCvs external diffs which fetch one or
> two full revisions of a file into local temp files
> and diff them with a GUI differ.

Yes - the most inefficient way to do it - better to request a patch to the revision from the file you already have in the sandbox and then apply that patch to a copy of the file in the sandbox.  Ideally that is what TCVS should do, and I suggest you discuss it on the TCVS newsgroup.  It's not CVSNT's fault that such large checkouts are done.  You can of course improve even this poor workflow somewhat by ensuring that you are using compression.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett