[cvsnt] Help the CVSNT project

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Oct 10 19:36:30 BST 2008

Luigi,

> Again, I agree, but, for example, I do not sign off expenses.

I expect that very few of the people on this newsgroup can sign off expenses - I'm asking that people whose paid employment involves the use of CVSNT advocate for the project, and in particular advocate for financial contribution.  Yes some 'managers' make unilateral decisions (but if you have one of those then you are probably using ClearCase and not on this newsgroup), but most are open to suggestions - particularly when the suggestions are made well and consistently over time, and there is a large 'upside' and very little cost.

> And even it I could, if my developers complains about using
> cvs via command line is too difficult or error prone, and they
> need a GUI client, within the budget constraints I have to
> decide what to buy.

And of course the GUI will be useless if the server doesn't work so you invest in the server ;)

I understand the need for commercial users to have a usable product, and that is why we don't ask for 'donations' but instead offer a great 'upsell' product with a great and useful tools (in fact I'd call them indispensable tools) including a very capable GUI and priority support - for a small fee.

My point (again) is that if you support the companies who are paying for the development of the software that is critical to work that you get paid for then you'll find that other things (like a variety user interfaces) are taken care of since the project will have enough resources to provide them.

BTW - we also support other 'related' projects to CVSNT (in ways that suit the project leaders) and also support through contributions of effort - though I've not been able to do either anywhere near as much as I would have liked.

The GUI's and other tools that we supply to those who have contributed financially (CVS Suite customers) may not have some special feature that a customer would like to have - but because the customer paid then we'll have a budget to be able to improve it with (and the customer can contact us with those suggestions).

All of the CVS Suite tools are already the best in market in my opinion - mostly because they are CVSNT specific - other tools only offer the 'CVS generic' functions and are often overcomplicated.

Regards,

Arthur