[cvsnt] Intermittent "socket write"/"connection reset" errors

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Sun Sep 7 14:04:22 BST 2008

Hi Dave,

Dave Clark wrote:
> I am using CVSNT 2.5.03 installed on a server running Windows XP
> Professional, and am accessing a repository on there via the CVS support in
> RSA v6 (ie Eclipse). On my work network, everything works fine, all the
> time.
>
> When I am away from the office, I connect to my work network via Broadband
> and a VPN. When I do this, CVS mostly works, but I get some occasional
> failures.

Assuming this is the same machine you're using to connect with, it seems
that the most likely problem is the network layer, not Eclipse/CVSNT.
Those symptoms can occur with AntiVirus or Firewall breakage, but more
likely some VPN issue.

Is the problem consistently the same module?  What if you just sync that
module?  How about if you try to update via the command line client?
Does a trace reveal any additional information (e.g. does it always fail
at the same step internally, or on a particular file)?

Good luck -- those issues are "fun" to work out...

Also note that 2.5.03 is vague for the version number.  XP Pro is
designed to limit incoming connections -- might need to look at that as
well.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett
Technical Account Manager, North America