[cvsnt] CVS multisite

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Aug 10 08:08:50 BST 2009

Rohit,

> i just want to know if multisite is possible in CVS,if
> possible how can we configure the same

CVS is multi-site by default - there is nothing more you need to do, it
is already optimised for use over a wide-area network.

Some people and some unscrupulous companies will try and convince you
some other software, or a local cache is required - it usually is not.
If you have performance problems then you need to fix the performance
problem not patch over it with an inefficient cache.

Since many many many people have been deceived by the need to pay for
some local cache software we added that function to 2.5.04.  I cannot
stress enough just how unnecessary repository replication and caching is
for 99.9% of organisations - if you are experiencing multi site
performance problems there are probably much 'better' ways to fix it
that using repository replication and caching.

If you want more info on the repository replication stuff please see the
previous newsgroup posts:
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-May/030637.html
And
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-May/030642.html
And
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-May/030653.html
And
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-May/030655.html
And
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-May/030659.html

If you have performance problems or you want a local cache and cannot
work out how to do it with the instructions provided then you need to
purchase the commercial version with on site consulting and we will set
it all up for you.  You do the work and you pay for your own hours, we
do the work and you pay for our hours.  No further discussion, I will
not answer anything more in this thread - if you want a quote contact
sales at march-hare.com.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett