[cvsnt] Bug report: update fails on XP for empty XXX and full xxxdirectories

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Dec 21 05:44:21 GMT 2009

Gabriel Genellina,

> May I suggest using more "separate" version numbers?
> For an outsider, 2.5.03 and 2.5.04 appear to be essentially the same
> version, just with small bugs fixed. And a number like 2.6 means "new
> features" not present in 2.5. At least that's what I would
> expect without knowing the CVSNT history.

This should be in the FAQ - we've followed this pattern years now...

The version number is V.NN.XX.BBBB

V    = major architecture changes
NN   = significant architecture changes
XX   = feature releases
BBBB = bug fixes

Note: from 2005 'zero' is no longer considered a valid number (ie: EVS
is 3.1 not 3.0)

Eg:
1.11 to 2.0
major architecture changes, eg: ditching C for C++

2.x to 3.1
major architecture changes, eg: ditching RCS for Relational DB.

2.5 to 2.8
significant architecture changes, eg: ditching cvsservice/xinetd

2.0 to 2.5
significant architecture changes, eg: adding pluggable triggers

2.5.03 to 2.5.04
feature releases, eg: adding support for multiple repo servers

2.5.04 to 2.5.05
feature releases, eg: windows servers now always run in unicode (unix
cvsnt servers have already done this for years)

2.5.04.3236 to 2.5.04.3510
bug fixes - may be critical bug fixes

Note:
* major architecture changes - CVSROOT scripts may require rewriting
* significant architecture changes - should be carefully planned
(probably to coincide with OS upgrades)
* feature releases - upgrade should always have a rollback plan
* bug fixes - you should always be running the HIGHEST build

Regards,

Arthur Barrett