[cvsnt] cvsnt running slow on new (virtual) machine

Joelle Tegwen tegwe002 at umn.edu
Mon Jan 12 15:15:29 GMT 2009

We are moving our test server (which also hosts our cvs repository) from
an old physical box to a virtual box. The cvs server on the virtual
server is running unacceptably slow. I need help figuring out why.

Some stats:
Function: Old server time: New server time
cvs info : <1 second : 1.5 min
cvs -version : <1 second : 1.5 min
local checkout of small repository with wincvs: 5 seconds : 1.5 minutes

Configuration information:
Old Server
CVS version 2.5.03 build 2151
Windows version: Server 2003 SE
Connection speed: 10 MB

New Server
cvs version: 2.5.04 build 3236
Windows version: Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition
Connection speed: 1 Gb

I checked out the FAQ online
(http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq5.asp#4d) and asked my server
admin about these issues. His responses are below.

I'm not really much of an administrator, and what I know is mostly Linux
so I'm pretty far out of my comfort zone.

Can someone help me diagnose this issue?

Thanks
Joelle