[cvsnt] Betr.: RE: force commit (despite not being a valid editor

Jan Keirse jan.keirse at tvh.be
Thu Jan 22 07:21:37 GMT 2009

"Arthur Barrett" <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> schreef op 20/01/2009
20:23:43:
> > I want to force commit despite the fact that I am not a valid
> > editor. Is
> > there a switch for this (can be done by a CVS admin if
> > required) or am I
> > out of luck?
>
> No - it would defeat the point.

Thanks for your feedback Arthur. I know it defeats the point, I was hoping
there was some `emergency' shortcut only available to admins or something
but that would indeed be rather risky to use. I'm working on an automated
procedure that has to force the commit, despite anything anyone else is
doing on that branch, if that means their changes are lost than so be it,
the users will be well informed about this. I guess I'll have to first do
the -k-x trick because we're not using the exclusive locking on purpose,
it must have been set by accident.

> However you can become a valid editor by issuing a 'cvs edit' on the
> file, or you can change the mode of the file (cvs up -k-x filename.ext;
> cvs ci -f -m "change mode").

Are the -k-x and other related options documented somewhere? The only
documentation I can find after googling and searching the manual (and the
eBook) is about the keyword substitution. I found a couple of mentions
about -k-x in faq's and mailinglist messages but no real documnetation.
It's almost as if this is `unsupported.'

Kind Regards,

JAN KEIRSE
ICT-DEPARTMENT
Software quality & Systems: Software Engineer

**** DISCLAIMER ****
<A HREF="http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html">
http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html </A>

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."