[cvsnt] Conversion of a TAG INTO BRANCH

Risman, Mark Mark.Risman at mlb.com
Wed Jul 15 16:40:45 BST 2009

Nitesh,

Does the new tag need to have the same name as the old tag? If not you
should be able to run:

	 cvs tag -r <<older tag name>> -b <<new branch tag name>>

If the names need to be the same, you can do something similar by
running:

	cvs tag -r <<older tag name>> <<temporary tag name>>
	cvs tag -d <<older tag name>>
	cvs tag -r <<temporary tag name>> -b <<older tag name>>
	cvs tag -d <<temporary tag name>>    <--- just to clean things
up

Note that this second approach will temporarily disable access to your
original tag name, because you're deleting it in the second step and
then recreating it in the third step.

You probably want to try this out in a test repository, or make a copy
of your actual repository files and test on those, just to ensure it all
works first.

Hope this helps,
- Mark