[cvsnt] Question regarding CVSROOT path corruption

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 29 21:55:35 BST 2009

Hi Mark,

> I installed CVS Suite v2.5.04.3236 this morning, and when
> trying to run any command line options I get the following
> error:

It appears as though you have downloaded and installed CVSNT with CVS
Suite Studio - "CVS Suite" is a different product and contains VS.NET
integration, comprehensive documentation and versions of CVSNT that have
been specifically tested and developed for commercial software
development etc.

It's a little confusing - basically what you get for 'free' is
'community content', if you need the documentation, support and full set
of tools and QA tested product then you need to purchase it from the web
site.

> CVSROOT=c:\Program Files\CVS Suite\CVSNT Tools

That's not really a valid CVSROOT - I've never seen anyone even try that
before - I suppose it's an easy enough mistake to make, and the error
message doesn't particularly help.  CVSROOT is a 'connection string'
that tells the client how to connect to the server, eg:

  :sspi:server.mydomain.net:/myrepository

Regards,

Arthur Barrett