[evs] Current status

Kelly F. Hickel kfh at mqsoftware.com
Fri Jan 12 03:20:02 GMT 2007

Of
> Tony Hoyle
> Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:21 PM
> To: evs at cvsnt.org
> Subject: Re: [evs] Current status
>
> Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
> > FYI, I've got a patch out for review on cvs 1.12 and 1.11 (which
won't
> > go in until it's been tested on 1.12 for awhile). Sanity.sh tests
> > included.  Still a bit of nit-picking going on for the tests, but no
> > challenges to the code (yet?).   When I looked at cvsnt's branch
code it
> > was the same as cvs, so you could get that patch and use it,
although
> > you might want to wait until it's actually accepted.
>
> Branching and tagging on evs is intimately tied to the database
> structure...  they're only similar in representation in the RCS file
but
> that file is only used at a late stage in the process - eventually
it'll
> go away altogether (for 3.x).
>
> Adding fast (ie. as in instant) tag to evs is really only a days work,
> since the database structure already has that capablility.  You just
> translate the tag to a date before you pass it to RCS and everyone's
> happy.
>
> Branching is harder.. a magic branch works because it reserves space
for
> the branch in the file when you create it.. it's a relatively trivial
> operation.  Having a completely ficticious branch is one of those
things
> that would touch rather more of the old RCS code than I'd like at this
> stage.
>
> OTOH it would be interesting to see what you came up with.. getting
fast
> tag into the old cvs code is quite an achievement, given its
limitations.

I should have mentioned that this patch only addresses calculating the
"next" free magic branch tag, and so only affects branching.  Branching
our repo in cvs 1.11, 1.12, and cvsnt 2.6.x and a beta release of cvsnt
3 (from a couple of months ago, I think), all took about 115 minutes.
With the changes I'm proposing, it takes 11-12 minutes.

-Kelly