[evs] Rename in branch causing merge issues

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:45:35 GMT 2008

I posted this issue that I was having with merging renamed files in CVS
branches.  Arthur suggested that I post it in the EVS group as well as this
is an issue that seems to affect both applications.

Thanks,

Eric.

-----------------

> I have renamed some files in a branch using cvs rename and
> committed them
> properly (commit the directory) as per the documentation.
> Everythign works
> great as long as I remain within the branch.  However, when I
> try to merge
> the branch back into the trunk, the renamed files aren't
> merging.  I had
> been expecting the renamed files to replace the trunk files, but that
> doesn't seem to be the case.

Merge will not 're-perform' renames - a merge acts on file contents not
file names.

No matter which choice we'd make there would always be some cases where
the opposite behaviour is the one the user wants.

You can ask on the evs.support newsgroup if a 'merge option' to take the
renames into the merge is possible.  It could probably be implemented in
CVSNT too - but I think that people who want all the fancy rename
options will switch to EVS pretty quickly since that is the only way to
solve the 'rename across directories' problem.

Does anyone know what the default merge actions on renamed files are for
other systems, eg: ClearCase, PVCS, SVN etc?  If you rename a.txt to
b.txt on branch and then merge to trunk does a.txt on trunk get the
changes or is a.txt on trunk renamed?

Regards,

Arthur