[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:36:44 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure if this belongs in EVS group or EVS-dev, so please let me know
if it belongs more in the dev discussion.

I'm wondering if EVS is able to do away with some limitations that I
encounter daily with CVS.  Things that would be nice to find in EVS would
be:
- tag names to be unique within a branch name-space only.  No need for tags
to be unique across an entire project
- tag / branch names to include all characters, including spaces and
punctuation.
- Ability to add comments / description to branches / tags
- Merging of renamed/relocated files to reflect the new name/location in the
merge
- LDAP authentication and / or SSO

I don't know if some of these suggestions breaks backwards-compatibility
with existing third-party integrated systems, but thought I would at least
raise the questions.

Thanks!

Eric