[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Feb 6 12:16:58 GMT 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:
> default by file type (so for instance .java files could rename and merge,
> but .c/.cpp files would not - but that's probably just overkill on a project
> that is already late...).

I'd just have rename as the default and a flag to override it, since it
seems to be the majority case.

There are cases where you don't want it to happen eg. you're pulling in
a change from another branch to fix a bug and you don't want it
rearranging your stable project tree in the process.  There are also
cases where you do want it to happen eg. when promoting a tree from dev
to test.

evs can do it right since it tracks renames as part of the object
lifecycle (and a merge-rename of an modified file should ideally simply
rename the file, keeping the changes).  cvsnt couldn't really do it
without a lot of work.