[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:54:56 GMT 2008

"Tony Hoyle" <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote in message
news:foc8fm$bh9$1 at paris.nodomain.org...

> I'd just have rename as the default and a flag to override it, since it
> seems to be the majority case.

> There are cases where you don't want it to happen eg. you're pulling in a
> change from another branch to fix a bug and you don't want it rearranging
> your stable project tree in the process.  There are also cases where you
> do want it to happen eg. when promoting a tree from dev to test.

I agree entirely with you; I would suspect / expect that the majority of
times, one would want the rename / move to occur during the merge and only
on rare occasions only encounter the scenario you describe above.

> evs can do it right since it tracks renames as part of the object
> lifecycle (and a merge-rename of an modified file should ideally simply
> rename the file, keeping the changes).  cvsnt couldn't really do it
> without a lot of work.

I am very happy to hear that EVS has and will take this into account.  All
the more reason to look forward to it being ready for the market!

Getting back to my original post / questions, is there any further news
whether EVS will support:
- tag names to be unique within a branch name-space only.  No need for tags
to be unique across an entire project
- tag / branch names to include all characters, including spaces and
punctuation (and potentially foreign charsets)
- Ability to add comments / description to branches / tags

Thanks!

Eric