[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:01:37 GMT 2008

"Arthur Barrett" <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote in message
news:fo8rt1$k1m$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
>> - Ability to add comments / description to branches / tags
>
> I'm pretty sure the data model supports this, but I'm not sure if the EVS
> client has a parameter for it.  It'd probably be 'easier' to maintain from
> the server interface than a client (hopefully more on the reason why in a
> month or so).

Actually - one other thought / idea came to mind.  I don't know if this is
just me trying to push the concept too much, but one thing I find missing in
CVS is the ability to select a whole bunch of files as part of a changeset,
be able to comment on the changeset as a whole, but inidividually log the
changes to the independent files.

What I mean by this, is in CVS, I find myself checking in files one at a
time so I can have proper log history as to what has changed between file
iterations.  This works really well for me when looking through history and
helps to know which files to select for comparison purposes, but it doesn't
let me know which set of files are all related to the same commit.  The only
way around this so far, has been to select all related files for a single
commit, and then to go back and add to each file's log msg individually.

Is this something that EVS might be able to better address?  Or is that more
a question of it being something that would have to be better supported from
the client level?

Thanks,

Eric