[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:37:49 GMT 2008

"Gerhard Fiedler" <lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote in message
news:1g58sevkvchaz$.dlg at connectionbrazil.com...
> Arthur Barrett wrote:
>
>> In practice I maintain that files in web sites and C 'header' files are
>> rarely renamed - the rename 'problem' is highlighted primarily by 'Java'
>> progammers usage.  eg: in the CVSNT project we've never renamed a C
>> 'header' file, and in fact in all the software projects and web site
>> development I've been involved with over 15 years I've never renamed a
>> file or seen another developer rename a file except for in the CVSNT
>> project where the .c files became .cpp files...
>
> I see it, though not too often. Maybe a difference is that I see mostly
> the
> first year(s) of a project, with (relatively) frequent refactoring. That
> often includes changes in the directory structure and create a more
> consistent naming.

Aside from the fact that we do development in Java, and hence have that
naming issue, we actually end up refactoring / moving code around quite a
bit everytime we have major releases to make.  Sometimes it is just a
question of redefining the directory structure to better organize our files
and classes, but other times it is more of a functionality issue, and allows
us to protect/secure different parts of the directory tree for different
reasons.

Definitely the fact that we develop in Java makes refactoring a much more
daunting task, but I can't imagine ppl taking the time and effort to do it
in a branch, but not care too much if it is merged back in.

>> I suppose a good 'first step' is getting rename to work well wih Java ;)
>
> That's probably true -- this should cover all bases WRT renaming :)

Agreed.  It would definitely make ppl like me more happy! :)

Eric