[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Feb 7 11:29:48 GMT 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> In practice I maintain that files in web sites and C 'header' files are
> rarely renamed - the rename 'problem' is highlighted primarily by 'Java'
> progammers usage.  eg: in the CVSNT project we've never renamed a C
> 'header' file, and in fact in all the software projects and web site
> development I've been involved with over 15 years I've never renamed a
> file or seen another developer rename a file except for in the CVSNT
> project where the .c files became .cpp files...

I see it, though not too often. Maybe a difference is that I see mostly the
first year(s) of a project, with (relatively) frequent refactoring. That
often includes changes in the directory structure and create a more
consistent naming.

> I suppose a good 'first step' is getting rename to work well wih Java ;)

That's probably true -- this should cover all bases WRT renaming :)

Gerhard