[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Feb 6 19:31:05 GMT 2008

> So Evs (the server) can support all of the above easily.  The 'client' -
> cvs, cvsnt, or the evs client - may not do.  cvs and cvsnt have hard
> limits on the way they represent tags and branches, and wouldn't even be
> able to checkout a tag name with a space in it, for example.  They also
> have no intrinsic support for tags with extended characters and are liable
> to render them as junk.

I suppose we could perform some basic transliteration in the compatibility
layer (basically replace any punctuation, white space or 'extended
character' to an underscore, and truncate the length if required) but then
then danger is that several tags/branches may appear identical when they are
not.

Ensuring that the 'transliterated' tag/branch name is unique would be an
unacceptable overhead I think.

Either way I'm not sure it's worth doing the 'transliteration' until after
v1 - except that we could re-use the code in EVSMANAGER so when someone is
creating a branch we can run the branch name through the
compatibility/transliterate function and if the names are not identical then
warn the user that the name "may be invalid with some clients".

Regards,

Arthur