[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Feb 7 05:53:06 GMT 2008

Eric,

> Just for clarification; in Commercial 2.5.03.2382 how does the "message to
> bug" option work exactly?

It uses a regular expression - but the user is insulated from that, but you
can use any synonym for Bug anywhere in the message.

> We use Jira (not bugzilla) here for issue tracking , so all our issue
> numbers have a prefix associated with them - ie: PROJ-1234.  Would we
> enter bugPROJ-1234 in the log msg in that case?  Or is it everything
> contained with quotes?  ie: "bug PROJ-1234"?

I vaguely remember that bugs / changesets in CVSNT are restricted to
numbers - but I've just had a quick look through the code and can't see
anywhere it is in commit.cpp - it may be that audit assumes a bug is a
number.

If all your bugs start with PROJ then you could just use PROJ as the synonym
for bug.  Since it's a regular expression I don't think you could
distinguish between proj 123 or PROJ 123 though.  This is the regular
expression used and the %s is replaced with 'bug synonym' (eg: Bug or PROJ)
:

     char
bug_re_3[1024]="(%s)+[[:space:]]*[\#_]?([Nn][Uu][Mm][Bb][Ee][Rr])?[\:]?[[:space:]]*([[:digit:]]+)";

The purpose of 'message to bug' is to look for a number which is pointed to
by a string prefix, so if you have bugs 'AA123' and 'BB123' then this wont
work and I personally wont be making it work.

Have you looked at the EVS beta yet?  It has an inbuilt bug tracker and we
would expect if you are using EVS then that is what you would use (though in
theory you could do your own).

Regards,

Arthur