[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:51:08 GMT 2008

"Arthur Barrett" <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote in message
news:foe6c1$9at$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
>> We use Jira (not bugzilla) here for issue tracking , so all our issue
>> numbers have a prefix associated with them - ie: PROJ-1234.  Would we
>> enter bugPROJ-1234 in the log msg in that case?  Or is it everything
>> contained with quotes?  ie: "bug PROJ-1234"?
>
> I vaguely remember that bugs / changesets in CVSNT are restricted to
> numbers - but I've just had a quick look through the code and can't see
> anywhere it is in commit.cpp - it may be that audit assumes a bug is a
> number.

I'm not quite sure I understand.  Can you please explain what you mean but
"audit"?

> If all your bugs start with PROJ then you could just use PROJ as the
> synonym for bug.

Unfortunately not - each project has a unique prefix that identifies it.
So, for instance, we have different prefixes such as CAP, TAB, FKM, EPP,
etc..  so each individual project would have issues CAP-1, TAB-1, FKM-1,
etc...

> char
> bug_re_3[1024]="(%s)+[[:space:]]*[\#_]?([Nn][Uu][Mm][Bb][Ee][Rr])?[\:]?[[:space:]]*([[:digit:]]+)";
>
> The purpose of 'message to bug' is to look for a number which is pointed
> to by a string prefix, so if you have bugs 'AA123' and 'BB123' then this
> wont work and I personally wont be making it work.

I haven't looked at the CVS source code yet (and can't imagine the amount of
time it might take me to build it), but would you consider making the RE a
configuration value such that a user/site can customize it for their needs?
I'm not quite sure where CVSNT stores its config data, but I assume it isn't
in the registry as that wouldn't be very *nix friendly.

> Have you looked at the EVS beta yet?  It has an inbuilt bug tracker and we
> would expect if you are using EVS then that is what you would use (though
> in theory you could do your own).

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time yet, although it is on my list of
thigns to do.  However, I can pretty much assume that you will have a lot of
trouble convincing ppl to dump their current bug tracking software and move
to EVS for issue tracking.  Apart from the wealth of information that a
current system would already contain, asking people to move from know,
well-developed, stable applications like Jira, Bugzilla, etc. to a new
system like EVS would be a severe uphill battle, I believe.  Of course,
everything comes down to the types of features it provides and ease of use,
etc.

Thanks,

Eric