[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Feb 8 06:41:44 GMT 2008

Eric,

> Agreed, but you'll forgive me for saying so, but that seems like a very
> closed-minded approach.  One of the great sounding things about EVS is
> that it seems to be incredibly flexible and allows for a lot of different
> interaction between different types of applications.  One of the ways that
> I would see this as being open architecture would be to provide the
> ability for other web applications (such as Bugzilla, Jira, Wikimedia,
> Confluence, Fisheye, etc, etc, etc) to comunicate directly with EVS
> instead of needing to parse log files, read the repository DB, etc....

Quite the opposite - we've written a C++ API that works terrific.

As I wrote in my last post:

> I suppose in theory we could provide web api's for everything from the bug
> tracker to browsing version to commit logs, but there is no plans to do
> that in EVSr1 (Tony and I have got enough to do already).

Other people can of course create other API's.

> It's a shame you didn't choose Java as the language of choice for EVS
> given all the OSS libs and frameworks that could have helped make
> development easier.  (yes - I have become a Java convert over the last
> years).

Two of the requirements that excluded Java are:
* high-performance
* ease of deployment (no Apache or other 3rd party apps other than the DBMS)

I suppose EVSMANAGER could have been written in Java, but we have no
in-house expertise in that and specifically wanted to leverage existing
expertise in C++ and it would have made deployment reliant on something like
Apache.

Regards,

Arthur