[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 05:32:23 GMT 2008

"Arthur Barrett" <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote in message
news:fogjj6$e01$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
>> piece of software one choses to use.  Given that there is a big
>> web-component end to EVS, does it support any form of webservices for
>> communication between different applications?
>
> Web services is for connecting different unrelated web apps - that doesn't
> apply to EVS, it's one (err.. two?) app that run on one machine.

Agreed, but you'll forgive me for saying so, but that seems like a very
closed-minded approach.  One of the great sounding things about EVS is that
it seems to be incredibly flexible and allows for a lot of different
interaction between different types of applications.  One of the ways that I
would see this as being open architecture would be to provide the ability
for other web applications (such as Bugzilla, Jira, Wikimedia, Confluence,
Fisheye, etc, etc, etc) to comunicate directly with EVS instead of needing
to parse log files, read the repository DB, etc....

> I suppose in theory we could provide web api's for everything from the bug
> tracker to browsing version to commit logs, but there is no plans to do
> that in EVSr1 (Tony and I have got enough to do already).

Would love to be able to contribute to the development effort, but
unfortuantely my CPP has become pretty rusty in the last 10+ yrs that I've
been working in Java.  It's a shame you didn't choose Java as the language
of choice for EVS given all the OSS libs and frameworks that could have
helped make development easier.  (yes - I have become a Java convert over
the last years).  Especially for platform-independent web-apps.

Thanks,

Eric