[evs] Next beta build

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Mar 25 22:22:21 GMT 2008

The newsgroup has been a bit quiet of late, so I thought it was time I wrote
something.

I had my semi-regular demo/catch up on the EVS project a couple of weeks
ago - it seems to be coming along nicely - though adding some of the
features that we considered 'critical' for v1 has taken longer than
expected, and will probably continue for another 4 weeks or so, by which
time I hope we can release another RC.

The next RC is intended to be 'pretty close' to 'stable' for the open source
project.  We will then add 'migrate' function(s) before declaring it FOSS
STABLE.

The remainder of 2008 will be spent focussed on turning that into
'commercial stable' which will probably be FOSS 3.1.02 (identical to the
CVSNT strategy where CVSNT 2.5.01 was FOSS and 2.5.02 was commercial
stable).

The EVSMANAGER user inteface needs a lot of work - Udo has prototyped this
and it's mostly up to me to translate that for use in EVS, whether that is
going to be in the next beta or not is questionable.

Anyone who can start compiling the server on Linux with Postgres support and
begin testing - your assistance will be greatly appreciated (Tony and I are
only working on the windows version and it will probably remain that way for
most of if not all of 2008).  The server code is already right and stable
enough to begin this work (just keep an eye on the commits mailing list for
updates).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett