[evs] Problem initialising database

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Apr 17 21:38:06 BST 2009

Colin,

> There is an option during the SQL Server installation that defaults to
> installing a named instance (rather than a default instance) of the db
> engine.  Annoyingly there doesn't seem to be any way to change this after
> it's installed so I removed and reinstalled SQL Server, this time
> selecting the 'default instance' option and it works fine.

Thanks for documenting this - we'll try and get the instructions on the
express init page cleaned up to reflect this.

> Might be something that needs to be allowed for in the EVS install process
> I guess.  Another small improvement would be a message saying 'success'
> when the initialisation finished as the web page just navigated back to
> the home page and I wasn't sure if it had worked or not.

The non-express setup already does this.  The aim of the express setup was
to have as little 'interruption' as possible, but we'll try and find a way
of achieving both.

There are two updates in the pipeline:
1) CM Suite 2008 R2 (includes bug fixes and evaluation guide/documentation)
2) CM Suite 2009 R1 (includes improved migration tools and support for VSTS
clients).

These are both 'almost' complete and just waiting some finishing before we
can release them, but hopefully they will appear quite soon.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett