[cvsnt-dev] Re: Feature Request: warnings on edit

Christian Schmidt christian2.schmidtREMOVE_THIS at gmx.de
Mon Jun 28 12:00:44 BST 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> cvsnt edit connects to the server to "lock" the edited files. When
>> connected to the server, could cvsnt give a warning if the files to
>> edit...
>>
>> 1) are not up-to-date? At the moment this is only done for
>> binary-files.
>
> That's possibly a tortoise feature (I think.. not aware of any special
> handling for binary files).  You can do a 'status -q' then check the
> output.

Working with reserved edits means that editing a not up-to-date file is an
"error" or at least it is worth a warning. One _can_ check the status of the
file before, but this requires a further call to the cvs server, which might
be time consuming if many files should be edited.
The error comes up, when the file is commited. But actually the error
happened before.

>> 2) have a sticky (non-branch) tag? At the moment TortoiseCVS can not
>> differentiate between sticky and branch tags. Commiting to a branch
>> tag is valid, but not to sticky tags.
>>
> Very little in CVS makes any distinction between the two - there's
> basically just the check
> in commit.  You can work it out by looking for .0. in the tag output
> (from the log output on the file).

The same as above is here: 1. log must be called for every file and 2. the
error comes up on commit, although it happened on edit.

Christian