[cvsnt-dev] Re: Where to go forward with the main list.

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Jul 23 16:58:16 UTC 2006

Glen Starrett wrote:
> I agree with this -- Members only is a very good way.  However, the only
> way I ever use this list anymore is with a newsreader.  That assumes
> people still be are able to post to news server and have it get to the
> email users.

That should work, or at least if if doesn't at the moment it's fixable.

How about... close the list to nonmembers, and include in the bounce message a
message to the effect that the news server is still open for nonmenbers to
post to (will have to think about the wording).

> Forums are a pain but have better historical context since they keep
> their threading better than a mailman archive.  Google searches will
> send them to the entire thread instead just one message -- sometimes the
>  messages have broken threading.

> IMHO Forums are poor for the people using them daily, unless the fancy
> formatting and smilies actually help the conversation.

I dislike web forums in general, although I did try an experimental one at
www.cvsnt.org/bb which is still running.  The problem is the mapping between
newsgroup->forum really doesn't work well since the posting styles are different.