[Cvsnt] Cvsnt and Linux clients

Kyrre Kristiansen kyrre_kristiansen at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 14:18:43 GMT 2002

Hello, again.

Thanks for your reply, Tony.

> You probably have SystemAuth=Yes still.  You must edit the config file
> by checking it out, editing it, then checking it in.

No. I have checked the config file (checking it out from CVS), and
SystemAuth is set to no. I can still get in using users on the nt machine
that don't appear in the passwd file. Using Linux, I have even logged in
using the NT local administrator user. Using the winnt client, the server
responds correctly, saying "no such user XXX in CVSROOT/passwd".

> The #1 FAQ on this board is that the users in the passwd file must
> exist on the cvs server....   SystemAuth can't change this.  Switching
> to linux won't change it either.

I have tried using impersonation, creating a single local user on the server
to keep the user administration overhead to a minimum. Again, this works
fine using the windows client, but when using the linux client, the server
will have none of it, saying no such user, like above. Creating a local user
on the server for each user works fine, but that still doesn't solve the
problem with other user accounts being used, and administering each user
both in the passwd file and on the server is just too much administration
overhead. I've done this using cxvs on linux before, and that worked
satisfactory for linux and windows clients.

I may have overlooked some fundamental point in this whole thing, but the
server acting differently depending on the platform being used for the
client seems a bit worrying to me.

Kyrre