[Cvsnt] Binary Files

John Hall John.Hall at optionexist.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 09:23:39 GMT 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:16:43 -0700, Eric Mudama <eric_mudama at maxtor.com>
wrote:

> One bit of wierdness regarding binary files.
>
> On linux, extensions that are specified in the cvs config files as
> always binary are case sensitive.
>
> If you are connecting DOS-based clients to the linux archive, the dos
> client attempts to check it in as the "preserved but not sensitive"
> case that is used in DOS and NT.
>
> This can result in some wierdness, especially once your dos box shifts
> into compatibility mode.
>
> I am not certain this is still an issue with CVSNT, as this wierdness
> was with a port of old cvs 1.10 to windows a long time ago (2-3
> year?).  I had to basically put in all permutations of lowercase and
> capital for every extension I knew was binary to guarantee they'd be
> recognized, which ended up being a huge file.  (exe Exe eXe exE EXe
> eXE EXE anyone?)

I'm using cvsnt 1.10.8 and have the same problem with case sensitivity.
You don't have to specify all the permutations, you can put entries in
cvswrappers like this:

*.[eE][xX][eE]  -k 'b'

Since there has been some discussion recently about future enhancements,
making filenames in cvswrappers (optionally?) case insensitive might be
worth thinking about it. I could see that it might not be wanted if you
had non-Windows clients around, however.

john