[cvsnt] Re: Setting locking to strict

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Sep 5 16:25:46 BST 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:47:54 +0200, "Christophe Remillet"
<christophe.remillet at lips-systems.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm new to CVSNT and installed version 1.11.1.3. I would like to know if I
>can
>configure CVSNT for managing reserved checkout for the whole projects
>repository.

That's not the way cvs works - you might be better off looking at an
alternative versions control system if that is really a requirement.

>The CVSNT documentation indicates to use the command "cvs admin -L".
>But when I tried to execute it, I obtain the message:

That would lock an individual file.  There is no command for an entire
repository

>> cvsadmin: in directory .:
>> cvs [admin aborted] : *PANIC* administration files missing

>The command I entered is :
>> C:/cvs/cvs.exe -d c:/CvsRepo/projects admin -L

That won't work.  You would have to execute this command on a file
within a checked out repository.

You can do 'fake' reserved checkouts using the 'edit -c' and 'commit
-c' commands, but it's really a sub-optimal way of using cvs (it's
designed for files which can't really be merged, like .doc files).