[cvsnt] newly added users not recognized as valid system user s

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Sep 16 16:46:59 BST 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:09:23 +0200, carsten.pieper at continentale.de
wrote:

>---
>C:\>set cvsroot=3D:ntserver:DO1W7548:/test
>C:\>cvs passwd -a mydomain/pieper
>Adding user mydomain/pieper at DO1W7548
>New password: *****
>Verify password: *****
>cvs server: *WARNING* CVS user 'mydomain/pieper' will not be able=20
>to log in until they are aliased to a valid system user.
>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>---

You've create a cvs user called mydomain/peiper, but there's probably
no user mydomain\mydomain/peiper.  Note: Forward slashes are not
special to NT and aren't used as domain separators.

If the user exists on the domain then you shouldn't need to specify it
anyway (unless you have 'use local users' checked in which case user
must exist as a local user on the cvs server).

>Bo, is this what you meant by your note in step 9 of the
>installation guide ("Any user entered like this MUST be=20
>an NT user on the local system!")? When my domain appears

That sounds like an ambiguous comment.  Users on the client are
largely irrelevant.  The NT user must exist on either the domain the
CVS server is a member of, or locally on the CVS server, depending on
the configuration.  Users do not have to exist on the client machine.