[cvsnt] checkout "stat" (timestamp) issue

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Sep 24 17:31:36 BST 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:43:19 +0200, "Stefano Bagnara" <io at bago.org>
wrote:

>The bug presents only when I checkout to a local repository mounted with
>"samba".
>- When I checkout with the command "cvs.exe -q checkout -P webknowler" to a
>local win2k ntfs directory everything works fine
>while checking-out to a samba share show all the files as "modified".
>- If I checkout locally (local ntfs drive), then I copy the whole local
>sandbox to the samba share it works fine!
>- If I "update" the "modified checkout" on the share, the "update" fixes the
>whole tree.

That's one of the problems with keeping your sandbox on a network...
there's no way easily to fix it as it would need working out what the
remote network protocol is using (UTC or Local), and determining how
things like SetFileTime behave.  It does seem that samba's DST code is
behaving differently to NTFS.

The old NT bug rears its head here... you can see the effect by going
to a samba share, and looking at the time on a file.  Now change your
clock 6 momths out (March) so the DST switches, and refresh the
view...  all the filetimes change by one hour.  The same thing happens
under NTFS, but we know how that behaves so we can compensate for it.

If someone could come up with a way to make samba work without
breaking NTFS I'd be interested... (not hopeful though).