[cvsnt] Latest CVSNT and Windows Server 2003?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Dec 19 17:31:20 GMT 2003

> >>Why don't you just use :sspi: (i.e. NTLM2 IIRC) or :gserver: (i.e.
> Kerberos/AD) ?
> So :sspi is easier? I'll give it a try. How do I support my
> Linux and Unix
> users that are outside our corporate firewall? These guys
> WILL not develop
> code on a Win platform. Absolutely refuse to do so.

SSPI is easiest for Win clients.  I think Tony has recently added SSPI
support to the *nix CVSNT client but it's NTLMv1 only (very basic, "easy" to
crack encryption), so you're likely still better off with another protocol.

> would love to use
> SSL, should be more universal. Do you know of a client that
> supports it?

Sserver is supported by Tortoise client, and of course the CVSNT command
line client.  WinCVS might support it as well, but I'm not sure.

> >>Also, running SSH for a CVS server on Windows has several issues,...
> Is this in fact true? I have been logging in to CVSNT via the
> Cygwin server
> for a few days now. The SSH mode is still password
> authentication, but it
> seems to handling the protocol. So your telling me that even
> though the user
> is "kdwoell", and even if I set NTFS pemissions such that
> "kdwoell" cannot
> get CVS access to a particular folder, the SSH authentication takes
> precedence and the NTFS permissions are ignored?

One issue that I know of from the list is that all users get recorded in
history as "system".  I don't know what implications that has on the NTFS
permissions but since they are coming in as system, I'd think that NTFS
permissions are moot at that point.  There are other ways to secure your
CVSNT repositories though, e.g. chacl command plus passwd & writers files.

Regards,

Glen Starrett