[cvsnt] Problem with Checkout Read Only

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 17 17:21:36 GMT 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:57:34 +0100, "Edwin Gijsbregts"
<edwin.gijsbregts at ubench.com> wrote:

>Then, after I edit one of the files and commit it, the file has a new
>revision number AND then it becomes read-only !
>When I then want to edit the file I choose "reserved edit". Another
>developer tries to access the same file, with "reserved edit" but the file
>appears locked to him. But when he chooses "Edit" (thus not reserved") he
>can still access and edit the file. Is this normal ? What is the use of the
>locking then.

cvs doesn't enforce anything.  If the developer wants to override the
edit they are perfectly free to...  that's a policy issue not a cvs
one.

Really if you want reserved edits cvs is not the best tool.  It is
designed for cooperative development and works very well with that.
The implementation of edits (edit -c etc.) is really there for files
that really can't be cooperatively edited, like pdf files etc.