[cvsnt] Enforcing read-only checkouts from the server?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Nov 7 11:25:04 GMT 2003

In a discussion with a (potential) CVSNT user, we stumbled over a
problem which I found quite surprising as it was contrary to what I
thought I remembered from some posts on this list.

The user wants to enforce the use of edit/unedit by enforcing read-only
checkouts. Without thinking I recommended to put cvs -r into the
server's cvsrc file. It turns out that global options in CVSROOT/cvsrc
are ineffective (which is already nicely documented in the CVSNT
Cederqvist - I just didn't notice until now).

Now, ACAICT cvs watch on will only work on existing modules and will
not affect future additions - and is therefore rather useless to
enforce a kind of global policy from the start. So, what's left?

Am I missing anything? Could it be true that something like this is
currently not possibe at all?

P.S.: Before this discussion starts anew: I am perfectly aware that all
this is not really in the spirit of CVS. I'm not using it myself
either. This is not the point of the question. I just think everyone
should be able to make his/her own experiences...

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org