[cvsnt] CVSNT installer does not start the services....

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Aug 1 10:54:58 BST 2004

Tony,
I have now checked a bizarre behaviour concerning the CVSNT installer.
On my test PC where the CVSNT server has not been used for about 6
months I was running 2.0.11 and I intended to update it to the latest
state in order to see what registry changes the installation process
would bring.

But since it was so old I decided to do it stepwise by first updating
to 2.0.38 (which installer I had saved) and only after examining the
registry after this update apply 2.0.51a.

Observations:
1) When I installed 2.0.38 there was a warning in the middle aabout
not being able to replace cvsservice.exe, but a retry fixed this,
2) After the install was done I was prompted to restart the PC, but I
did not want to do this since I know all files are really up to date
and registered so I refrained.
3) At this point the install was over and to my astonishment the CVS
services that were stopped at the beginning of the install were not
restarted...
So I had to do it manually. The server now worked fine. I saved a
registry snapshot.

Then on to 2.0.51a:
4) No warning about cvsservice replacement, so this is apparently
fixed. :-)
5) After the update I again get the request to restart the PC, which I
don't want to do of course unless it is *really* necessary. So I
decline.
6) Again the CVS services that were stopped by the insteller are not
started afterwards.....
7) So I started it from the Control Panel applet.
8) It seems that some registry entries are put in there by the
installer and some are then later added/modified when the CVSNT
service starts, or by the control panel applet.

QUESTION1:
Why can the installer not start the services after it has finished,
epecially if it is doing an upgrade????
It would be very simple to put two net start commands in the run
section of the Innosetup installation script, really.

QUESTION2:
Which registry entries are created/modified by whom?
- Installer? Should at least add all new items...
- CVSNT on startup?
- Control Panel applet?

STRANGE ERROR MESSAGE WORDING
Anyway, when this happens the result is that client receive the
infamous error message:
"cvs [version aborted]: connect to altair:2401 failed: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

This error message is *really* misleading, one gets the impression
that the connection failed because of authentication issues or similar
when it really is a case where the server is not listening on port
2401. The error message should read something like:

"Connection failed,  the cvs service is not running on the target
machine."

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)