[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT installer does not start the services....

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Aug 1 11:33:56 BST 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:
> 2) After the install was done I was prompted to restart the PC, but I
> did not want to do this since I know all files are really up to date
> and registered so I refrained.

If the installer requests a restart there's probably a reason...

> 3) At this point the install was over and to my astonishment the CVS
> services that were stopped at the beginning of the install were not
> restarted...

Did you check the 'start service' option?

> Why can the installer not start the services after it has finished,
> epecially if it is doing an upgrade????

See answer to (3)

> It would be very simple to put two net start commands in the run
> section of the Innosetup installation script, really.

They are there...

> QUESTION2:
> Which registry entries are created/modified by whom?
> - Installer? Should at least add all new items...
> - CVSNT on startup?
> - Control Panel applet?

See the readme file.  It's not a simple answer any more due to upgrade
etc.  It's far too complex for the installer on its own to handle so the
postinst does a lot of the work.

> STRANGE ERROR MESSAGE WORDING
> Anyway, when this happens the result is that client receive the
> infamous error message:
> "cvs [version aborted]: connect to altair:2401 failed: No connection
> could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

This is a system error message and nothing to do with CVSNT - I'm not
about to start inventing my own wording for all the combinations of
error message.