[cvsnt] Why is this a conflict?

Colin Bendell cbendell at point2.com
Wed Jan 14 13:57:41 GMT 2004

>> > to the tool, as the line numbers would be the same.  Maybe
>> it should
>> > be a special case when the changes are after the last line
>> number on
>> > the previous rev...???
>>
>> It is a conflict - no special case is required.
>>
>> If you have both modified the file at the same point (end,top,middle,

>> whatvever...) then CVS has no business ignoring that - it
>> *must* flag a
>> conflict.  In the end case how is it to know which one goes
>> first?  The
>> first edit or the last one?  What if putting both in at the same time

>> would break the syntax of the file?  These are things that
>> only a human
>> can decide.
>
>Hmmm...I'm sure there are plenty of examples both ways, but: if you are
>both Appending to a file, wouldn't that be ok to append both?  It seems
>like that would be a good enhancement for certain types of files
(flagged >via wrappers?)

>Jeff

The only use for this would be for would be log files.  Then why would
you be committing active log files to cvs anyway?  Only 'finished' or
archiveable log files should be committed, if at all.

BTW, how does oracle append an xml file and yet maintain it as an xml
file?  Or is it just an xml fragment - an not really xml then?  (Oracle
XML strikes again - ugh)

/colin