[cvsnt] cvs checkout -d gives error instead of updating

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Jul 13 15:36:26 BST 2004

David Somers wrote:
> Ah, so when you checkout into an existing sandbox, you automagically get the
> update behaviour instead?

Yup.

> Sorry Tony... regret to say I so does NOT. I tried it just now. Am even
> though I'm only on my second cup of coffee today, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing
> this:
>
> W:\tmp\zzzz>cvs co -d balls dev/cxref/cxref
> cvs server: Updating balls
> U balls/!magic
> U balls/ANNOUNCE
> U balls/COPYING
> U balls/ChangeLog
> U balls/FAQ
> [snip]
>
> W:\tmp\zzzz>cvs co -d balls dev/cxref/cxref
> cvs server: Updating balls
> cvs checkout: move away balls/!magic; it is in the way
> C balls/!magic
> cvs checkout: move away balls/ANNOUNCE; it is in the way
> C balls/ANNOUNCE
> cvs checkout: move away balls/COPYING; it is in the way
> C balls/COPYING
> cvs checkout: move away balls/ChangeLog; it is in the way
> C balls/ChangeLog
> cvs checkout: move away balls/FAQ; it is in the way
> C balls/FAQ
> [snip].

Well there's at least one unusual file in that example and that is the
item starting with an exclamation mark. Does this also happen when you
update a different module that does not have any such a files?

Also, do you maybe have anything strange in your cvsrc or .cvsrc
file(s)? Did the first checkout really create the (hidden) CVS admin
directory (W:\tmp\zzzz\balls\CVS) and accompanying files (i.e.
Entries.*, Root, Repository)?

Furthermore, please make sure that W: is not a network drive or we could
stop talking right there...

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver