[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT & File Permissions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Nov 18 14:21:00 GMT 2004

Richard Dje wrote:

> But then how users in the same group can commit or tag the same cvsmodule
> without being link to the same user account on the server side ?

They normally are, unless you're using pserver and aliasing the accounts.

> Is there a way to indicate CVSNT not the modify the group permission on
> Commit/Tag operation ?
> Is it really CVSNT fault ?

In older CVSNT versions the permissions had to be stored on the RCS
file.  2.0.58 broke that link and 2.0.6x breaks it still further.

> We're using either Cygwin CVS client or GNU CVS client.
> So you mean that there are interactions between the client side setting
> , p.e, *ntsec* for Cygwin CVS client and the server side settings, like
> the CVSNT environment variable.

In 2.0.58 the server will obey the setting as well as the client, which
works most of the time but has a nonzero chance of causing problems
which is why only the client does it in the recent builds.

>>Another way is to force the user the server runs under to be the same.
>
> Please correct me if am wrong, but you're saying that all users accessing the server should do it
> with the same user account name on the server side.

You can force the server to run as a single user.. this makes security
easier as you can lock the directories down.. it also makes permissions
problems easier to deal with.