[cvsnt] Re: Latest Updates - CVSNT 2.5.02 Build 2057

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Aug 15 23:58:38 BST 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:39:26 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Giesen"
<ogware at gmx.net> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I have now created the InnoSetup installer version of the 2048 setup.
>
>OK, after having analyzed the latest wxs files and comparing the actual
>results of using the official MSI installer vs. Bo's Inno installer in
>a VMware session, I have now made some further adjustments (partially
>rewrote the thing) to the Inno-installer to more closely mimick the
>layout and behaviour of the official installer.

I am comparing the script against the one Tony abandoned and I have
been trying to maintain meanwhile. One item I found now is that you
have placed the MFC dll:s into {sys} instead of {app}.
I thought that they were once put into {app} for a reason (not to
clobber the target system with files outside the CVSNT dir.
Is this move necessary?

>-Removed no longer used simcvs.exe, cvscontrol.exe and cvsclient.chm

Tony is including the simcvs.exe and cvsclient.exe file in the
binaries still (they are being rebuilt every time with a new time
stamp).
The cvsclient.chm was built by me from the dbk file back in February,
it has not changed since...

>-Removed setacl.exe in favour of using Inno's permission flag for the
>Temp folder (BTW: the MSI does not create a dedicated Temp dir at all -
>and personally, I don't really like it under ProgramFiles either -
>maybe introduce a custom page for this later on)

I guess that the proper Microsoft way is to put the temp folder below
Documents and Settings, but then I guess into the LocalSystem account?
In any case it should be something like %profile%\Local
Settings\CVSTEMP?

>-Only create shortcuts to control panel when installing server
>components
OK

>-Always install internet shortcuts (previously they were treated as
>part of the "Documentation" component)
OK

>-Adjusted start menu shortcuts to duplicate entries created by MSI
>installer
Name changes?

>-cleaned up functionality duplicated in [Run], [Registry] and [Code]
>sections (mostly stopping/starting/(un)installing services)

I have to check these

>-Removed many superfluous MinVersion directives (where already handled
>by restriction on parent component)
OK

>-Increased compression level

How much do you gain?

>-As source material I used exclusively files extracted from the latest
>MSI installer (2.5.02.2057 RC4) instead of the ones from the binary and
>sysfiles packages as there appeared to be some differences (among other
>things, more up-to-date docs and a significantly smaller dbghelp.dll).
I am still keeping my sources as the binaries file, but I am adding
the cvs.chm file from my own compilation because Tony does not include
it anywhere else. I base it on the cvs.dbk file in the repo whenever I
see that it has been edited.

>Just the new Inno script here (requires Inno 5.1.4):
>http://mitglied.lycos.de/ogiesen/cvsnt.iss

Got it and have restructured the one I maintain in a similar fashion.
But the components are still named as they were.

>The bandwidth on that site sometimes appears to be rather low and there
>might even be a download limit, so if anyone cares to mirror this, just
>go ahead. I don't know if I will be able to keep on updating these. The
>intention of this post was more that of a discussion starter. I really
>don't think there should be several different Inno installers in the
>long run. It's probably confusing enough as it is already (given that
>anyone actually knows about the Inno installers at all that is)...

I have started to think that I am doing unrequested work as well,
given the small number of hits on the website with my alternate
installer...
Maybe it is time to call it quits?

>Also be aware that Tony has not announced the 2057 build here yet, so I
>don't even know what has changed since 2048. Until he does it's
>probably best not to use this one for anything other than testing the
>installer.

I have prepared the 2060 installer after modifying the iss script
somewhat according to your findings. Let's see what it results in.
Right now I have found that after running it, the server does not
work. Possibly I need to restart my PC again because of the new
location of the MFC dll:s ({sys}). I'll do it after posting this...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)