[cvsnt] Re: Problem using TortoiseCVS with CVSNT on a workgroup (XP)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Sun Dec 11 13:20:37 GMT 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:15:31 +0000, <harinder.bahra at ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>I'm trying to get to grips for the firstb time with CVS and having problems.
>I have two PCs both running Windows XP on a workgroup network.

There are two different versions of Windows XP, XP-Home and XP-Pro.
You don't say which one you are using, but the only XP version suited
for a CVSNT server is XP-Pro. Is this what you have?

>CVSNT 2.5.0.3(Scorpio) Build 2151 installed on PC-1 acting as the server
>  Server settings tab
>    Run user as: PC-1\Administrator
>    Default domain: PC-1

Who told you to do this??? Running the server as the administrator is
really opening up a security hole.
You should use the setting:
Run as user: (client user)

>I have given the folder coantaining the CVSREPO folder full sharing rights
>(checked 'allow network useres to share my files' box).

Again, who told you to do this? It is absolutely *against* all advice
for CVS to open up a *share* on the repository. This is about the last
thing you shuld do with the server. The respository should be *hidden*
from all users via the network, the *only* access should be via the
CVSNT service itself!

>TortoiseCVS 1.8.22 (SSH TortoisePlink rel 0.56) installed on PC-1 and PC-2
>
>TortoiseCVS works fine on PC-1, checking out with local protocol.  But no
>matter what I try, I cannot get TortoiseCVS to work on PC-2. I have tried
>checking out with different protocols without success. Any ideas anyone?

The first two comments I have made relate to CVSNT, which is the
subject of this list. But for Tortoise you definitely have to turn to
their separate user forum or mail list. Tortoise is not discussed
here.

/Bo Berglund