[cvsnt] Re: can we work with multiple projects at the same time

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Dec 13 12:59:27 GMT 2005

Amarnaath S wrote:

> Is it possible to work with multipler projects, i.e checking out multiple
> projects in one step for a user.

You can use the checkout command listing multiple modules:

p:\>cvs -H checkout
Usage:
  cvs checkout [-ANPRcflnps] [-r rev] [-D date] [-d dir]
    [-j rev1] [-j rev2] [-k kopt] modules...

But I find it often easier to do that one at a time, especially when I only
need certain sub-modules of top level modules.

If checking out certain combinations of modules is something that happens
often, you may look into the module/module2 administration files, but
that's something a bit advanced and not recommended until you have a good
understanding of the basic repository mechanics.

> I think at a time when it is checking out we can select only one folder
> to check out and we can't select more than one folder.

You can check out more than one, if you want. You can do that in one
command, or in several consecutive commands. After that, you will have the
same result: several modules checked out in your sandbox.

> If some one is working in multiple projects how can he go between these
> projects.

Many work on multiple projects concurrently (well, not exactly
concurrently, but you know what I mean :). You can have the complete
repository with dozens or hundreds of modules checked out into your
sandbox. There is nothing special to that. Just check out what you want,
either in one command, or in several commands. Then work on what you want,
then commit that. The rest (the files you're not working on) just sit in
your sandbox, as copies of the repository files (usually the HEAD revision,
or a specific branch).

This is really not a complicated thing. I suggest you create a test
repository and start experimenting with it. You really can't break anything
here... just go for it, use a tutorial and observe your sandbox files and
the repository files, and soon you'll understand how that works.

Gerhard