[cvsnt] Re: Broken RCS file?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Mar 7 18:06:57 GMT 2005

John Peacock wrote:
> On a particular file, if I try and get log (for example to generate a
> graph within WinCVS), I get the following message:
>
> cvs -q log cimmaron.pl (in directory D:\working\PerlCimarronProgram\)
> cvs [server aborted]: unexpected '\x50' reading revision number in RCS
> file W:/cvs-repository/PerlCimarronProgram/cimmaron.pl,v
>
> I don't know when it broke.  I can apparently check out any specific
> version, but I cannot get a log file (even if I specify just the last
> two revisions using -r).

Log read the first half of the file then filters it, so it's doing a
different thing to checkout which just looks for specific data.

It sounds like something is corrupted.. it should be obvious if you look
at the file in a text editor - the error will be near the top probably.

I'd be worried about how it got like that - there are only two ways I
can think of... either some form of disk corruption or someone tried to
modify it by hand & got it wrong.  Neither are particularly healthy.