[cvsnt] backup a cvsnt repository - small question on how you do it

Vanier, Alexandre avanier at jamdat.ca
Thu Mar 17 16:49:16 GMT 2005

I got a small question regarding how some of you are doing the backup of
your CVS repository.

I have a CVSNT server with a repository containing many projects under
it.  For 25 gigs of data under the cvs repository, I got 230 000 files
and 40 000 folders.  I am using the backup Software, Retrospect from
Dantz.  The backup software is installed on a different server and it's
making the backup through a 1Gbps ethernet connection with a retrospect
client software installed on the cvsnt server running windows 2k server.
A couple of weeks ago the backup software started giving an error
message when trying to do the daily backup (during the night when no one
is in the office).  The error would be generated when the backup
software is scanning the cvsnt server to get a listing of all the files
and then start doing a backup of the cvs repository. I would always get
an error message saying out of memory.  At first I tought that it was
related to the server running Retrospect and it would need a reboot.  It
didn't solved the problem and the backup server got 1 Gigs of RAM.  The
cvsnt server also got 1 Gigs of RAM.

I found out on the website of Dantz the memory requirements related to
the problem that I have -
http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/kb/article.asp?aid=5417&n=16&s=

>From that webpages it says that for backing up 1,439,510 files and
folders, I need only 512 megs of RAM. I am obviously well beyond that
and still I got an error message out of memory.

I will be switching to a different backup software in about 2 months,
we'll probably go with Veritas Backupexec and now I'm wondering if I'll
get the same kind of trouble.

My question is, for those of you doing a backup of a repository of about
the same size as I have (or bigger) do you have any memory problems.
Would you recommend installing the backup software on the same server as
the cvs server or doing a network backup is fine?  Or do you know about
any backup software that can handles easily repositories that contains a
lot of files and folder?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Alex Vanier