[cvsnt] confused and frustrated by WinCVS install and configuration

Kenneth A. Wolcott kwolcott at cloudshield.com
Wed Apr 12 17:37:31 BST 2006

Hi;

  The following is what I sent to the WinCVS mailing list -- it looks
pertinent to the CVSNT mailing list as well.

 I am on a Windows XP SP2 box.  I have Cygwin installed already because
I really like Cygwin, not because there was a misperceived dependency of
WinCVS on Cygwin.  I am connecting to a Linux CVS server.  I am using
PuttySSH pagent to perform seamless SSH authentication.  I'm running
into problems (perhaps due to Cygwin?) after I get WinCVS installed and
try to integrate PuttySSH pagent authentication into WinCVS.  It looks
like it is looking at the local Cygwin directory structure and
complaining (I didn't save the error messages) about them.  Then it
hangs the machine so bad that it is difficult (sometimes impossible) to
bring up TaskManager to kill the process.  I used WinCVS a long time ago
and I didn't have these problems with Cygwin.  Also, a long time ago I
didn't seem to have this CVSNT client/server come along with WinCVS
complicating things unnecessarily.  I thought WinCVS was a CVS client!
Why does it need to have another CVS client bundled with it?

 Here are my courses of action:

 * Wait until management gives me a Linux machine that I can use as a
CVS client.

 * Try to use Cygwin CVS client (haven't been able to get ssh-agent
working yet on Cygwin), but that's a different support issue.

 * Use a native Windows CVS GUI client such as TkCVS or JCVS (I don't
know who performs SSH authentication, but that's a different issue)

 * Uninstall Cygwin and see if WinCVS starts working (I very much
dislike this option).

Anyone have another suggestion for me?

Of course I should ask the CVSNT mailing list why WinCVS needs to have a
CVS client when I thought it *was* a CVS client...

Thanks,
Ken

--
Kenneth A. Wolcott